Arancine are rounded balls of cooked rice with savory fillings, coated with bread crumbs and deep-fried. White wine is an optional ingredient in this vegan version. Barinvore is a fab app listing which wines are vegan, or you can find labelled vegan wine in most supermarkets.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 small leeks
- 1 clove garlic
- 200g risotto rice
- 150ml vegan white wine (optional)
- 850ml of vegetable stock (150ml extra if not using wine).
- 2/3 tbsp New Yorkshire Emporium Rhubarb Ketchup
- 75g frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- 50g Vegan Prosciano cheese (Violife is readily available in most supermarkets)
- 200ml vegan cream or non-dairy milk e.g soya, almond, occonut
- 300g multigrain bread
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Trim the leeks, cut in half and slice thinly.
- Place the leeks in a frying pan with the oil and garlic and fry for 3/4 minutes until soft.
- Add the rice and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the wine – it should sizzle. (If not using wine add 150ml of the stock)
- Add 2 ladles of stock and lower the heat. Simmer the mixture stirring all the time. As the liquid is absorbed add a little more liquid. The rice will absorb the liquid and soften. When the rice is soft enough to eat and the starch has been released to form a ‘gloopy’ mixture add the grated vegan prosciano cheese. Stir and allow the “cheese” to melt.
- Add the peas and rhubarb ketchup, stir and season with pepper. When the peas are cooked (3/4 mins) remove from the heat and leave the mixture to cool. Once cool place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
- When the mixture is chilled, form balls of mixture (size is not important but try to keep them all the same size. Roll in the palm of your hands to form a good shape.
- Turn the bread into breadcrumbs using a hand held blender, blender food processor or hand grater.
- Dip the rice balls in the non dairy cream/milk; making sure the whole ball is coated and then the rice balls in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan or deep fat fryer and fry the rice balls until brown. (2/3 mins)
- Allow to cool.