Lemon drizzle has recently been voted the UK’s most popular cake, and this vegan version tastes just as good!
- 10oz (300g) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 7oz (200g) caster sugar
- 6 tbs vegetable oil
- Juice of half a lemon made up to half a pint with water
- 6oz (100g) icing sugar (sifted)
- 4-8 tbsp fresh lemon juice
*This is a fab tip I picked up from Ms Cupcake.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C (160 fan assisted)/Gas 5.
- Grease a loaf tin.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Tap the bowl onto the work surface to stop the raising agents working too quickly – you will see the bubbles pop.*
- Pour into the loaf tin and tap the tins on the work surface again.
- Bake for approximately 30 mins, or until a cocktail stick, inserted into the middle of the cake, comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooking, make the icing by gradually beating the lemon juice into the icing sugar to give a smooth icing, thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (You may not need all the lemon juice)
- As soon as you have removed the cake from the oven pour the icing onto the cake and quickly spread it out.
- Cool completely in the tin before turning out and serving.