I love this recipe from the Cake Scoffer by Ronny, I’ve made it for countless vegan events. It looks fab, tastes delicious and is super easy to make! With no fancy ingredients, it’s the perfect vegan recipe.
- 10oz (300g) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 7oz (200g) demerara or muscovado sugar
- 2oz (60g) walnuts, chopped, plus more for decorating
- 1 cup of coffee about 4 times stronger than normal, topped up to half a pint with water.
- 6fl oz (175ml) vegetable oil
- 6oz (100g) icing sugar (sifted)
- 4-8 tbsp strong black coffee
- Pre-heat oven to 180C (160 fan assisted)/Gas 5.
- Grease a cake tin.
- Sift the dry ingredients (except sugar) and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the sugar and nuts.
- Add wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Tap the bowl onto the work surface to stop the raising agents working too quickly – you will see the bubbles pop.*
- Pour into the cake tin and tap the tins on the work surface again.
- Bake for approximately 30-40 mins, or until a cocktail stick, inserted into the middle of the cake, comes out clean.
- Cool in tins for about 20 mins then turn onto a wire wrack to cool completely.
- Make the icing by gradually beating the coffee into the icing sugar to give a smooth icing, thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (You may not need all the coffee) and apply to the top of the cooled cake. Decorate the top of the cake with walnuts.
*This is a fab tip I picked up from Ms Cupcake.