Spaghetti bolognese is easy to veganise using either soya mince or lentils. Adapt this versatile recipe to make other favourites such as lasagna, chili or cottage pie. For more tips on adapting popular dishes read our post what vegans eat.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, finely diced (optional)
- 100g (4oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 225g (8oz) veggie mince or 1 tin whole cooked lentils
- 400ml passata OR 2 tins chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 80ml vegan red wine (optional)… check out Barnivore for a full list)
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tsp vegetable bouillon or 2 veg stock cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp tahini (optional)
- Fry the onion, garlic, red pepper and mushroom on a low heat in the oil until soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes over a low heat.
- Serve on a bed of cooked spaghetti (allow 100g dry weight per person).
- Optional serving suggestions: vegan Parmesan (eg Violife Prosociano, Angel Food, Follow Your Heart), garlic bread, side salad.