- 4oz (110g) adzuki beans soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 oz (225g) carrots, diced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb (450g) potatoes, peeled
- 2oz (50g) vegan margarine
- Simmer the soaked adzuki beans in 2 pints water for 50 mins, or pressure cook for 15 mins. Drain, reserving the stock.
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- In a large pan, fry onion for 5 mins in oil, add garlic and carrots.
- Cook for a further 3 mins, then add the cooked beans.
- Mix the soy sauce, tomato purée and herbs with the reserved stock. Pour over the bean and vegetable mixture. Simmer for 20 mins. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile steam or boil potatoes and mash them with margarine.
- Put the bean mixture into a casserole dish, spread the mashed potatoes on top. Bake in the oven until potato is crisp and brown.