Vegans don’t need to miss out on pancake day; egg and milk free pancakes are easy to make, and yummy. Whisked up chick pea water, or aquafaba is used in this recipe in the place of eggs, and helps to make a light and fluffy pancake.
The recipe makes about four pancakes and you can use gluten free flour if needed. Fill your pancakes with a sweet or savory filling such as maple syrup, jam, tofu & spinach or ratatouille. Enjoy!
- 6oz (175g) plain flour, sieved
- 2 tbsp chickpea or soya flour, sieved
- 6fl oz (175ml) soya, rice or other plant based milk
- 4fl oz (120 ml) water
- 3 tbs aquafaba (made from a tin of drained chick peas- see this guide for how to prepare)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Additional oil for frying
- Make the aquafaba
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the oil then whisk in the aquafaba.
- Whisk in the plant milk and water.
- Leave to stand for 30 mins.
- Heat a frying pan until hot.
- Drizzle a bit of oil into the pan and pour in enough batter to thinly cover the bottom of the pan swirling the pan around as you go.
- Reduce the heat a tiny bit and cook the pancake for a few mins, then toss or turn over with a spatula and cook on the other side until golden.