Caponata is a Sicilian aubergine salad and capers seasoned with vinegar.
- 100ml olive oil
- 3 large aubergines cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 shallots
- 4 large plum tomatoes chopped
- 2tsp capers soaked if salted
- 50g raisin
- 4 celery sticks
- 50 ml vegan red wine vinegar
- Handful toasted pine nuts and basil
- Cook the aubergine in the oil 15/20 mins until soft. Remove from the pan.
- Add shallots to the pan and cook for 5mins until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook slowly so they break down return the aubergines to the pan.
- Add capers, raisins, celery and vinegar, season and cover with a lid. Cook over low heat for 40 mins.
- Serve with basil leaves and pine nuts.