Thank you to our friend, the wonderful Clare at Fairfoods, for this 7 day menu plan giving suggestions for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day. We love the way it gives a lot of flexibility to cook at home or eat out. If you’re looking for a plan which includes set recipes try Veganuary menu plans or the 21 Day Kickstart
7 breakfast ideas
- Toast, bagel or crumpet with jam, peanut butter or yeast extract.
- Weetabix or oatibix with rice milk, soya milk or almond milk.
- Full breakfast with vegan sausages e.g. Linda McCartney, beans, hash browns, grilled tomatoes, toast and mushrooms.
- Vegan cornflakes (e.g Whole Earth) with rice milk, soya milk or almond milk.
- Scrambled tofu on toast
(Fry half a finely chopped onion in a little oil. When lightly brown add half a level teaspoon turmeric and 1 clove crushed garlic. Stir well for 1 minute. Add 350g tofu and stir well, mashing it down. Add 1 tsp soya sauce and if desired, some vegan vegetable bouillon to taste. Serve.)
- Flavoured soya yoghurt and fruit with a handful of nuts.
- Porridge made with oats and your favourite vegan milk.
7 snack lunch ideas
- Soup and roll. Make your own following a recipe or just use whatever you have to hand. This is a great way of using up left overs. Or buy a vegan ready made soup.
- Pate (e.g Suma), avocado and salad sandwich, or on oat cakes.
- Jacket potato with baked beans and salad. Also look out for other suitable fillings such as sweetcorn or veggie chilli. These are available from most cafes, or buy from a shop and make your own if you have access to kitchen.
- Super salad… Greens, beans, and sliced salad veg tossed with bottled dressing or some oil, tamari and lemon juice or vinegar. Make it extra-special by adding avocado, toasted nuts or seeds, fresh or dried fruit, or grated vegan cheese.
- Vegan cheese, pickle, sliced apple and lettuce sandwich.
- Falafel, (e.g caldron or home made) houmous and salad served in pitta bread
- Toffuti cream cheese on bagels. Add cucumber or other salad.
7 evening meal ideas
- British night
Vegan bangers, mash and gravy with steamed broccoli, carrots and peas.
- Mexican night
Burrito with freshly cooked refried beans with lettuce, tomato, avocado and seasoning in a wrap.
Quesadilla – place thinly sliced vegan cheese and tomato between two wheat tortillas making a sandwich (no margarine is required). Toast on both sides in a dry frying pan, then cut into quarters.
Serve with rice and salad.
Or make a quick chilli with frozen veggie mince, a can of tomatoes, a small can of kidney beans, plus any other vegetables you fancy. Add chilli, marmite and cocoa powder to taste, plus a pinch of cinnamon. Serve with rice. If any is left, use as a topping for baked potato the next day. The same basic veggie mince and tomato sauce base can be used for spaghetti bolognese, lasagne and shepherd’s pie (leave out the chilli, cocoa and cinnamon).
- Italian night in
Pasta with broccoli, mushrooms and olives or other favourite veggies in your favourite pasta sauce (most are vegan but check the ingredients).
- Italian night out
- Indian night
Do you fancy takeaway, shop-bought or from scratch? There are plenty of choices. Indian takeaways tend to have a good choice, but check that your dishes are cooked with vegetable oil rather than ghee (clarified butter). There are a number of shop-bought curries, or, choose your favourite recipe and enjoy with rice.
- Chinese night
Stir-fried mushroom, beansprouts, red onion, spring greens and marinated tofu with rice noodles and soya sauce.
Traditional Sunday roast with all the trimmings
Quick and easy crusty pizza
1. Mix 90g tomato puree, 3 tbsp olive oil and ¾ tsp mixed herbs together (and give it a mix again just before using).
2. Mix 100g vegan cheese and 3 tbsp soya milk in a blender or mash together with a fork until you have a paste (or use 100g melting cheezly, sliced).
3. Split a large vegan ciabatta in half and spread tomato mix onto the top of each, followed by cheese mix. Add your favourite pizza toppings: sweetcorn, tomato, olives, red onion, red peppers, pineapple, vegan sausage, chilli etc.
4. Bake at 220C for 10-15 minutes.